Friday, May 18, 2007

My name is Bethany and I am a bibliophile.

I seriously think I have a problem. I lugged 50+ books to India, telling myself that I would finally have the chance to get to them all and I am sabotaging my efforts already. You see, I LOVE used book stores and when I go to one the same thing always happens. I tell myself that I am there for one book and I end up coming out with four or five. As you can guess, this creates a serious backlog as I am at the bookstore multiple times a month. So I figured that I wouldn't be buying any books here and I could finally get to all of these books that I have been craving for a long time. Well, I found a bookstore yesterday and I now have 53+ books that I will have to lug home. It's a sickness, I know. I am reading a fascinating book right now called Being Indian by Pavan Varma. In it, he strips India of all the myths that Westerners and Indians themselves have built up about the country and gives a very frank and honest assessment of the general Indian psyche. I find this fascinating because I have spent the last month in complete confusion. The India that I have always pictured does not seem to exist. Wealth and power seem to be the ultimate goal of society here - not spiritual enlightenment. The caste system, though legally abolished in the Constitution, is alive and kicking. You only have to look at the marriage listings (personal ads) in the newspaper to see that they are divided by social standing. There are lots of little things that happen every day where I shake my head and think, "That's not what I thought it would be". This is not a criticism at all, except to those who have perpetuated unfair ideas. I have been told, though, that the India that I envisioned is available if you have enough money. Hmmm...

The bookstore that I found is in Khan Market. This shopping area is touted as the most expensive and exclusive in the city. Personally, I don't get it. Yes, it has an Adidas and Benneton, but I don't get it.

There were quite a few westerners there and lots of Indians dressed like westerners, but I don't quite get what the appeal is. Personally, I will take the malls in Gurgaon any day over Khan Market. I'm sure the fact that it was really hot didn't help. I did learn a lesson. I decided to get a chocolate milkshake from McDonalds since it was blazing and I went to the take away window (imagine a drive-thru for pedestrians). My milkshake had not even been on the counter for a nanosecond before I was flanked on either side by two little boys begging me for it. I hate this so much, not because I despise the boys for what they are doing, but because they feel they have to do it. Nathan and I were walking around the neighborhood a few weeks ago when a child ran up to me and started begging for money. When I didn't respond, he started crying until he saw someone else coming up behind us and his tears magically dried up and he was all smiley for the next person. Again, I do not begrudge these kids for what they are doing. It is survival for them, but I wonder what happens to a child when this is how they start life. We have been told not to give them any money as people are regularly mobbed and hurt by the swarms of people that will run up. Nathan's co-worker Cherie saw a man knocked over by a gang of children trying to get at his chewing gum. It's horrible and feels so incredibly un- Christian to blatently ignore these people as they are standing right next to you pointing at their mouths. I don't know enough about the Indian government to really comment on its efforts to eradicate poverty, but I know it is not doing enough.


Now about something fun. Nathan and I rode in our first autorickshaw the other day and it was a blast!

Imagine this, banged up a lot and with stickers all over it and you get the idea!

We took it home from church since our taxi driver couldn't pick us up. It is basically a four-stroke motorcycle trike with a canvas roof that is just a little too short for us tall white folks. It's loud and has no shocks to speak of, but we had a lot of fun on it. I am trying to imagine what it would be like for my family to race these puppies home from church! The auto is everywhere in Delhi. They are more economical and run off gas so they are more environmentally friendly. You do get a more in-your-face experience with the city when you ride around in these. To be honest, it feels kind of like you are on the Scrambler.

Because this was so amazing, I have to share a Delhi driving story with you. Yesterday, the taxi came to get me to take me to Khan Market and we had gone about two blocks when I realized that I had left my phone at home and would need that to call the driver when I was done. He said, "no problem" and proceeded to REVERSE INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC for a good block before he found a place to do a three point turn. I used to tell myself that if I survived Argentine bus drivers I could survive anything. I did not take into account any kind of driver in India. Let me tell you, I was praying to God, Buddha, Kali, I was saying Hail Mary's, and I'm not sure which one responded, but I am here to tell the tale today. Wow.

Now I will speak as a Phoenix Suns fan. I am currently praying to God, Buddha, Kali, and saying my Hail Mary's that justice will be served and that the entire Spurs team will have their talent and thuggery sucked out by the Nerdlucks just like what happened on Space Jam. I am already so sad, but I will be just miserable if this championship is taken away from them (and that is what it would be) by the ridiculous stupidity of two men who find people leaving the bench more detrimental to the game than other people inflicting bodily harm (oh, and only some people who leave the bench). Just remember, in the words of that great humanitarian and philosopher R. Kelly, "I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky..."

1 comment:

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Hey girl-- I just wanted to make sure you and Nathan are all right. I just read about a bomb going off by a mosque in New Delhi. I pray that you, Nathan and that everyone you know is ok. I also pray for the poor innocent victims and their families. I don't understand being so fanatical about things in life that I would be willing to kill for it. I just hope and pray you are doing well. That's got to be scary!

Remember Laura in Paris when that kid started swearing at her because she wouldn't give him money? He was wearing a Phoenix Suns shirt, no less. Anyway, it sounds like a heart breaking experience. We often times, have similar experiences up here with natives begging for money, especially downtown. We have also been told not to give them any, but to increase our fast offering. It's difficult, when asked,to tell them I will just be giving it to the church. However, I don't think these people are spending it on food. I can't imagine what it is like over there.

Well I hope your books, eagles, mice and moneys are keeping you busy. Good thing for vaccinations, eh? Who knows what you could get from those books! Take care! Love ya!