Friday, May 11, 2007

You say you want a revolution...

Today is the 150th anniversary of the uprising of Indian soldiers against the British. Nathan chose to stay indoors. We saw some coverage of the parade that was held outside the Red Fort (an ancient fort which was also the place that the Indian flag was first raised in 1957 when the British left). The Prime Minister spoke and talked about how this event brings Indian people together but that it was the non-violent movement that Gandhi taught that truly brought lasting freedom. Something for us all to remember, I suppose.

It has been so great having the internet! We have been talking to people on Skype and finding out what is going on around the world. I guess I have to admit that I have come to lean a bit on the World Wide Web. It is so good to no longer be without it.

We heard a great story the other day that will give you a little insight into India. So this man was transporting a disused Boeing 737 through Mumbai to a flight training school in Delhi. He takes a wrong turn and realizes that the truck is too wide with the plane on it to turn around SO HE GETS OUT AND RUNS AWAY. It sat in the middle of the road for almost a week and people just came and climbed all over it. Now its gone missing and no one knows who took it or where it's gone. It just vanished. Absolutely hilarious.

I think that we are coming up on Monsoon season because we have started to have a thunderstorm every night. The sky lights up in different places like that scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind where the kid gets stolen. I hate that part but I love the lightening. There is this low rumbling thunder that is barely perceptable when all of the sudden the wind will pick up and WHAM-O! The whole house shakes and it sounds like the rain is going to bust in through the windows at any moment. It's kind of freaky, to be honest. Tonight we got home from shopping just in time to pull the clothes off the line. Yes, that's right, I am officially a 1950's wife. I do a load a day in my little washer and hang it out with the hope that no bird will take a shining to my clothes as they did the first time. It's kind of scary because we live on the third floor and I am constantly worried when my clothes are hung out there that I will find them 30 feet below in the dirt. Also, I make sure to clean the line every time now since the first wash I did was underwear and I pulled it all of the line to find a nice thick, black line straight across everything. Smooth, Jones.

Speaking of laundry, I would like to show you all my washer machine...

In a country full of engineers, the space between the sink and the toilet is about three inches too short to fit in between so it sits in the middle of the bathroom. You will also notice that there is no curtain for the shower. This freaks Nathan out. Is it weird that it doesn't bother me a bit?

I think the washing machine is great there. It make a lovely arm rest when you are using the toilet and also can hold the tp as there is no holder anywhere else. I also love living dangerously with taking a shower with an electric cord just hanging out there. I like to think of it as Extreme Showering. Just check out the water heater that hangs over the other side of the shower.


Is the bottom of that rusting out, you ask. You bet your bippy it is!

I have also found a new measuring stick. Often we measure things by how many jumbo jets, pyramids, school busses, or footballs it would take to equal an object. These are much to big. I have found one that will be much more useful in everyday life. It is the Nathan. For example, an Indian bed is one Nathan long.


His head touches the headboard and his feet overhang the footboard so it is effectively equal. Nathan has found that if he sleeps diagonally or in the fetal position he can almost achieve REM!


See how happy he looks?

5 comments:

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Please don't blow away! I think I would be fine with the first two storms and then I would probably start to freak out... more than a bit! You are brave! And I love your bathroom. It sounds like an electrocution waiting to happen. Danger Will Robinson, danger! I am happy you have a washing machine. At least you don't have to beat your clothes against a rock or wring them out (like you did so nicely for me in England because I am a big weakling!). And, hey, you guys should measure how many Nathans long is your apartment is or his trip to work. That would be fun :) Have a great day!

Heart ya,
Megan

P.S. You and Megan both look fabulous! Oh, and we have Skype as well... we should talk sometime!

Layton Clan said...

How happy he does look in that chic yet compact bed. And the washer in the bathroom, that's so fab... B, I am totally with you on the no shower curtain thing. I could care less, unless Emery would be in there washing clothes, then it would be a bit odd. Besides that, I miss you. I was just telling Emery yesterday that I missed you. Tiff had her baby, a litte girl, and Jennie is going in for her c-section on Friday. I think they are naming him Brock. Let's see, I think that is about it. You guys are so entertaining. Keep it up! Love you, Jen

ThePricklyPear said...

Wow. When did you go all brunette?!

Anonymous said...

Nathan, that bed looks like it is fit for a king. I would have to say my new office is about three Nathan's in diameter. I hope your having a great time in India, We are all still missing you over here in Phoenix. Although as time passes is getting a lot easer to forget that you worked here. J/K. Be safe and watch out for those wild animials, and large bird eating rats. GO SUNS!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention how much we love your blog!! to the point that I am currently ignoring the whining baby, the hungry 4yr old and the husbands' distress over the FA cup final in order to catch up on your amusing writing

Miss you loads!
Emma