Monday, July 30, 2007

Googalaga, Chimichanga, Espinaca, Willy Wonka

This weekend, the Joneses and Jordans conducted an unscientific experiment to determine if the common Indian person really understands what we say. We have found that no one ever tells you that they don't but nothing is ever quite done the way you ask so it makes you wonder. Therefore, we decided to take a word that we are fairly certain does not appear in either the English or Hindi lexicon and see what we could get by just talking gibberish. The first word chosen was "googalaga". This is a made up word that the Jordan boys use and sounds very much like a lot of Hindi we hear on the street. So, when asking directions to the Spice PVR movie theater Michelle said to a man walking by "Googalaga Spice PVR?" to which he pointed out the direction to go. Elated with our success, but feeling that the results might be tainted by the close proximity to actual Hindi, we decided to change it up a little bit. We chose the word "chimichanga". Upon leaving the parking lot and passing the man that we had to pay, Michael leaned out the window and asked, "Googalaga chimichanga?" to which the parking attendant said, "Yes" and waved us through. We thought we had hit a snag at the toll booth where the attendant first looked at us a bit warily but he then smiled and let us through, much to our relief. Feeling a bit puffed up with ourselves, we told the guard of our gated community, "Googalaga chimichanga espinaca". For having a few politicians on our street, the security is suprisingly not very secure. Later than night as we sat around analyzing our findings, we added Willy Wonka at the end and have instituted a contest to see who can get the craziest thing by using our new phrase. Oh, it's on!

On our way home from the movie, we saw a man on a motorcycle get hit by a bus. He got up and was dusting himself off in a very dazed fashion when the bus backed up a few feet and then drove around him. The guy got back on his bike and took off. I swear, if you showed up thirty seconds after it had happened you would never have known that there had just been an accident. Crazy.

This weekend we had a big reminder of how nice it is to be in a big congregation where there are multiple people who can handle spur of the moment assignments. On Saturday, Nathan taught Institute as I was finishing up preparations for Enrichment Night. We had six people show up so I probably prepared too much, but oh well. Then Sunday we spoke on marriage in Sacrament Meeting. It went really well and we were pleased to be done with our church assignments for the day. We spoke too soon though as our Branch Presidency forgot that it was the fifth Sunday and that they were in charge. On top of that, there was a huge issue that came up that required their attention, so as we walked into the room Nathan was handed the Gospel Principles manual and asked to teach an hour long lesson on the organization of Christ's church. Despite the initial "Holy Crap!" moment, he did a great job. The issue was, though, that he had also been asked to speak at the baptism afterwards. He asked me if I could handle that as it was starting to feel like the Nathan Jones Show and of course I obliged. So I played the piano and then, like any returned missionary who has used the old discussions, I mentally pulled out the second and flipped to 2 Nephi and taught about why Christ needed to be baptised and how if He needed to, how much more we need to. Just like the good ole' days. So the consensus that Nathan and I have come to is that our vacation is just in the nick of time as who knows what we might end up doing next week if we were here!

Oh, and our Sunday School teacher said sh*t in her lesson.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I need to get your Gospel Doctrine Teacher's notes... I once said "when it hits the fan", (and was mortally embarrassed when my bishop asked me in which book of scripture he could find that), but have never had the courage to pull out one of the big 5 words in my lesson... I do think I could try to googalaga, chimichanga, espinaca, willy wonka and no one in my class would notice either...

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! You guys went halfway around the world to discover 'Unwinese'. Check out the following website with recordings of the one-and-only Stanley Unwin: http://www.stanleyunwin.com/audio.htm

...And go easy on that Sunday School stuff. I once heard my mission president swear while speaking at District Conference. Someone later explained that 'we are not supposed to use that word' in French. Oops! (However, we missionaries were impressed by his command of the French language.)

Karlie Burnham said...

Hi Jones'!!! It's me Karlie Burnham!! I have just recently entered the blogging world and have LOVED to catch up on you guys and your adventures in India. There is so much to tell about me and Bryce and you can find out what it is if you go to my new blog www.karlieandbryceburnham.blogspot.com
Wonderful Jen Layton helped me set it up and it will be so fun! Anyways, keep in touch and so will I:)
Love Karlie Burnham

M. said...

Enjoy France! I know Becky was looking forward to it, even after I showed her every shopping mall in D.C.!
The willy wonka comment challenge- AWESOME.