Saturday, June 2, 2007

Memories light the corners of my mind...

I apologize upfront that really only one person in the world will understand the enormity of this post, but it is vital that I post it here as I almost fell out of my chair laughing last night over it. So Nathan got home safely yesterday and we went to dinner at a great Italian place nearby. It works out well because Indians eat dinner much later than we do so we can always get a great table right away. Effectively, we are the old Canadian snowbirds that clog Mesa with their massive RVs every October driving 30 miles an hour in the fast lane with their left turn signal on. Now if only I could find 50 drug stores within a three mile radius... At this particular restaurant they play Kenny G until about 8:00 when the crowd starts piling in and then a DJ starts kicking the music up a notch. Have I mentioned yet that Indians love American rock? Oh, yeah. Last night we got a little Sweet Child of Mine to start things off and then it progressed from there. So I'm telling Nathan something when all of the sudden I hear something over the speakers that I have not heard in years... "Lydia, oh Lydia, I wish I didn't get rid of ya, Lydia I miss your rose tattoo". Suddenly I am 19 years old again dragging Main in Boise in Thayer's Saturn heading to the 7/11! Oh my gosh, I started singing and chair dancing, excitedly telling Nathan how Megan and I taped this band performing at the Apollo (do you remember that performance - whoa.) Then, as if this is not enough, it starts mixing into "Fantastic Voyage" by Coolio! That's right girl, the DJ was just playing MTV Party-to-Go Vol. 6!

My wonderful husband, realizing that this album signalled a pivotal time in my life, went and talked to the DJ who is going to sell us his copy of it tonight. Then I am going to need him to go away on business for a few more days so I can convert the apartment into my own private dance studio. Because as Elizabeth Berkely so emphatically put it "I'M A DANCER!"

1 comment:

Strawberry Shortcake said...

OH MY GOSH! Hello, best day of our lives! I can't believe he played that song. I totally remember that, in fact sometimes that song runs through my mind when I am cleaning the house or changing a diaper (don't know why on that last one). That is fan-W-tastic! That just made my whole day girl! Awww... the drives in the old Saturn. I think I have seen it around town a few times. I guess the person that bought is too afraid to drive it out of Alaska. The memories... those vacant, distant memories that only you can bring back to me (because I surely cannot remember what happened today. Good thing I have wonderful people around me to help me remember my life!). Thank you for that post. It truly made my day!!! It made me miss you more!!! If only they had played the DM song we used to listen to in the dark... ;) Have fun with your dance party. I will throw one here in your honor! Hey, you should name your new living room club the Gonorrhea, I mean Galleria, and just mosh all night long. Ah, to be nineteen again... Love ya!