Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Oh, Happy Day!

The rain has come! It has been so lovely and cool that I could cry! We didn't even use the AC yesterday and it was heavenly. I must admit to some evil glee when I see that it is now warmer in Mesa than it is here. We take what we can get, right? While the temperature is an absolute blessing, the rain has caused a few issues. For example, this is how my paper arrives every day...


No plastic bags here! That's okay, though. The paper costs 3 rupees a day (about 6 cents) so it's no huge loss. The Times of India cracks me up. It is a "serious" paper, but every once in awhile there are the funniest articles in it. Take, for example, the fashion spread that they did on women attending a female empowerment conference. I had to laugh over that one. Can we say that someone slightly missed the point?

The rain has caused other issues. The drains here are less than effective so the streets flood almost immediately. While this can be hard on cars, it can also be great if your driver decides that it would be fun to drive really fast next to rickshaws so we can splash them! That was a good time.
One not so funny thing is that the wind messed up our water pump on Sunday so we woke up to go to church and had no water. We were hot, sticky, and un-Christlike but we got it sorted in the end. Since our landlords have been gone we have lost our water, AC, keys, and sanity. We really need them to come back!
Eerie... As I am writing this the sky goes dark and the wind starts picking up. I LOVE IT!!! People always asked if the rain bothered me in London. It never did. I always loved it. Ooh, it just started raining again...
So funny story. Nathan was going out to one of the campuses the other day to work with the enrollment team, only they had a different idea. Instead they hosted a debate on his behalf. He was the guest of honor and was presented with a bouquet of flowers and had a red dot put on his forehead. I don't know what that means for men, but for women it means you are married. I'll have to ask about that.

An artist's rendering

So they have him sit in a special chair as he is to judge this competition. The MC gets up and introduces the topic and then calls Nathan up to say a few words. Now Nathan told me he wasn't quite sure what to say, but anyone who knows Nathan knows that is a lie. That boy has never had trouble figuring out what to say. So he sits down and the debate goes on. It was pretty good, apparently, and when it ends they have Nathan get up and speak AGAIN. I'm sure he was thrilled! I was bummed, though, that he wiped his red dot off. I wanted to see him all Indian-ized!

The best news of the day is that in 25 minutes I will be completely done with my statistics class. Oh, happy day!

No comments: