Monday, June 25, 2007

You can't always get what you want

Nathan and I learned something very important this week. Repairs in India last about a week so it is good to hold on to your warranties! That's right, the air conditioning went out again with a loud POP! the other day so we have moved as much as we can into the bedroom where the AC does work. Fortunately, it is not as hot so we can walk through the living room without having to shower afterwards. And speaking of showers, I got up to take mine for church yesterday and yet again we had no water. Poor Nathan was woken up by my screaming, but luckily he watched the "electrician" fix it last time so he knew how to do it. I wasn't sure how long it would take, though, so I took the last bit of water from the hot water heater in the kitchen and bathed with a bucket and bowl. Nathan got it fixed though and got in a shower and we were only five minutes late to church! We have decided that the pump must also believe that Sunday is a day of rest because that is when it keeps cutting out. Thank goodness the Bhatias are coming back tomorrow!

Saturday I made some good progress. After seminary I went shopping with Cheri. We went to the Big Bazaar, the store that we went to our first week here that scared the heck out of me. My standards have changed significantly as I now find it the greatest place to shop in Delhi! I bought a bookshelf so I can finally clean off the table I use for a desk. I bought some plastic tubs to organize our bathroom a bit more. It still doesn't look organized. I don't know what else to do with that. I also tried to buy an ironing board but they refused to sell one to me. Customer service is a bit different here. Either there is WAY too much or none at all. I was in the household electronics section and saw that they had some ironing boards stacked up there. As I have been using our coffee table for the last two months I got very excited. I tried to get one and they told me I couldn't have one as those were part of a promotion. If I bought a $40 iron I could have the ironing board for free. I refuse to spend that much on an iron in the States, let alone in India! The boards had price tags that said 150 Rupees ($3) on them but they would not let me have one. They told me to go to the bottom floor where I would find ones I could buy. Shockingly enough, there were no boards. So I continue to use my coffee table. Ah well.

One really neat thing, before we went to the store Cheri and I went to Raj Ghat.

This is the pyre that Gandhi was cremated on. It is set in a beautiful park with lovely flowers and trees and is pristine. You can walk around the wall surrounding the pyre but to come up to it you must remove your shoes. It was quite moving to see people of so many races there. It is a very reverent place with an eternal flame and a real sense of gravitas. The engraving on it are Gandhi's last words "He Ram!" which means "Oh God". All heads of state are brought here to pay their respects and regular prayer meeting are held here by the national leaders. Really beautiful...

No comments: