Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Who came up with Murphy's law, and can I legally kill him?

I am lucky to have so many patient people around me, because I would have wanted to shoot me last night. We were leaving the house to go shopping when I realized that I had forgotten to grab the keys just as Nathan was closing the door. Picture Darth Vadar at the end of "Revenge of the Sith" screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!" and you get the idea. Yes, we have one of those handy dandy security locks that bolts the door whenever it is shut. This would not normally be an issue, but our landlord is in England (Slough, in fact) for two weeks and we could not get into his place to get our spare set of keys. So, while I am about to burst into tears, Nathan called his office and they had a locksmith out in about half an hour. I swear, I owe them all my firstborn. Now, I figured that he would drill into the lock to bust it out but this was not the case. He pulled out his hammer and chisel and proceeded to WHACK away at the lock. This gave me an enormous sense of safety as we realized that if it takes a locksmith half an hour knocking the ever living daylights out of this lock with enough noise to wake the dead to get into our flat, we will never be robbed. And if we are, we will be on the other side of the door waiting for him!


I poked it. I think it's dead.

As the locksmith was working on it, Nathan's co-worker pointed to the hammer and chisel and said with a grin, "Indian technology, huh?".

So this is what my door looks like now.

As you can see, the bolt has been hollowed out and the locksmith will come and replace it later. In the meantime, we are using the other lock below the handle. It has a very complicated key that no one should be able to replicate.

Eat your heart out, Fort Knox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, good ole' Murphys law. it does probably mean that you're safe to drop buttered toast for at least a couple of days after this spectacular event!
I'm glad to hear that you have people who know people....who have hammer and chisel.
Only knowing of New Delhi what I learn from you I can't imagine that it is bad enough for people to voluntarily come to Slough for a holiday!!!

Anonymous said...

You didn't need to go to India for that locksmith. Next time, just go to www.Queencreek.org. :)

We are all here for both of you! Hang in there and let us know if you need anything.

joncar11 said...

Ok, first of all, this is clearly the funniest headline I have ever read. I think I had scrolled by this about 3 times and somehow just today noticed it for the first time. Wow...sucks that this happened, but I have to say...freaking hilarious.