Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wow.

Mother Nature has a way of reminding you of just how insignificantly small and powerless you are, and last night she put on a show. Yesterday was a sunny day, warm and dry, but at around 9:00 in the evening I noticed lightning outside. Being my father's daughter, I immediately went out to investigate and was front seat to one of the most amazing sights I have ever beheld. There wasn't just lightning - the was sheets of it. It never let up. There were no breaks between bolts. Most of it wasn't even bolts, it was just clouds lighting up all over the sky. It started off to the west of us but very quickly came directly overhead. The eerie thing was that there was no sound. It was very War of the Worlds. I kept waiting for it, but besides the occasional low grumbling there was nothing. We didn't get much rain - heck, the electricity and TV didn't even get shut off - but I would be hard pressed to come up with a more amazing storm that I have seen. The coming of the monsoon is celebrated here in India because it means a break in the heat and that the rivers will be full again. Last night as I stood out on our little lawn I could hear whistles and horns being blown. I think everyone was pretty excited. I can't wait until it comes to stay.

No comments: